Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Cyclopes Song

In the autumn months, storms of dust rage against the northern part of Taiwan, covering towns in thin layers of sand and silt. Water canons are brought out, the windows of offices and schools shut tight, the streets and cars are covered. A state of emergency has been called. Even south, the dust reeks havoc with my eyes and throat. I’m like many others. I stood in class this morning with one eye swollen and white pus running down my cheek thinking, this is it, I’m going to go blind. It made me think of Cyclopes standing on the shore after Odysseus has disabled him, calling out to Poseidon, his father, for help. I waited all day to see if my eye would heal, while the sky though, brilliant in color, held up a mirror, showing me what I look like, with my one burning eye.

1 comment:

  1. Ouch, sorry about your eye!
    BTW, you really should check your email more often, H. :D

    ReplyDelete