Thursday, January 21, 2010

Fair is Foul, and Foul is Fair

Our Macbeth Adaptation, "MacBackstreet: The Tragic Tale of Murder, Corporate Witches, and Asian Boy Bands" went off without a hitch yesterday on the last day of the semester. After a month of rehearsals, script edits, line memorizations, dance routine practices, and overall prodding, we pulled it off to a rousing school ovation.
I would dare say, this was a once in a lifetime chance for my Taiwanese students to get on stage and learn through active involvment. So much of the education here is rote memory and boring, impersonal teacher lecture. I hope my students never forget this chance to see what it really means to study not just English, but to passionatly throw yourself into an academic pursuit, to be inspired by language and personal ideas, to live a life less ordinary.
Macbeth provided an interesting backdrop for my students as well. The main character's blind and aggressive ambition clouds his morality and decision making and serves as a paradoxical metaphor for their own lives full National Exams, strict academic rules, and an often hopeless education system based on ruthless competition without any kind of intrinsic, humane reward.
Of course, we poked fun at stuff too... here "Beat Box Banquo's" Ghost comes back to life and avenges his murder in an old school dance off.
Our performance was after final semester exams, and the whole school filled into the auditorium to watch, almost 200 peopole. It was a wonderful send off before Chinese New Year Holiday. My students and I would like to thank all the school's staff, administration, parent volunteers, and students for all their help and wonderful participation as audience members. It was an upsidedown performance, a Shakespeare "Adaption" that's for sure, but Macbeth is a play where "Fair is Foul, and Foul is Fair," and that seemed right to me. I hope you all enjoyed. Thank you again. - Hartenstein

1 comment:

  1. Awh I love that play. Miss you and hope everything is going well.

    Cheers my friend.

    ReplyDelete