Saturday, June 5, 2010

Mercy, Mercy Me

(Last week the girls got haircuts. It was their idea, and I know when females cut their hair it's a big deal, so I couldn't resist putting up the before and after shots. Please also check flickr to the right for most recent photos. Enjoy!)

I went for two runs today. The first at pre-dawn, past the tai chi groups out in the freshly cut grass and down through the park blocks, stopping to waltz in line with this group of seniors. Got back to the apartment and made chocolate chip pancakes with rainbow sprinkles for my hungry lumberjack girls. The pancakes come courtesy of our neighborhood Costco. It’s amazing to watch the Taiwanese in these places stand in line twenty minutes for a free Ritz cracker and smoked jalapeno salmon sample.
Makes me queasy.
Later took the kids to this boy’s birthday party and who do you think is the only adult in attendance that fell into the swimming pool today? Yep, you guessed it, clothes and all. I was crossing from the kiddie to the main pool trying to keep Kinu from drowning and just went right in. Played it off pretty well, just kept on going down to the bottom and came up laughing in front of about twenty moms. Nothing to do but strip there and spend the rest of the party in my boxers while my jeans and t-shirt dried in the sun.
I don’t think any of the housewives minded.
My last run was later that evening while Rebekah was taking free roller blade classes in the park. Xi’an and I went on a four mile run down to the museum and back. She on her bike just peddling beside me. She was so adorable in her little pink felt shoes and rainbow socks, flying off curbs with her training wheels catching sparks. “That was a cool jump, huh daddy?”
Yes it was.
We ended the day as always. There were homemade hamburgers and watermelon slices and Rebekah crashed on the sofa and I carried her to bed. Kinu took some doing, an extra couple of verses of “I wanna hold your hand,” “Jesus Loves Me,” and “Mercy, Mercy Me.”
But I got the job done.

“Oil wasted on the oceans and upon our seas
Fish full of mercury
Oh, mercy mercy me
Oh, things ain’t what they used to be…”


A sad song, yes. I don't want this to sound stupid or trite, but I am just praying for families in the gulf region dealing with that oil spill. I feel so bad for you. I wish you luck and clean waves and better days, and everyone I know is feeling the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment