Thursday, July 22, 2010

Beauty Revealed In A Name

Before limericks and chiquains, sonnets and sestinas, haiku and free verse, I try to teach the kids the acrostic. It is the simplest poem to write. One word, spelled out vertically, with descriptive vocab or phrases to create a simple subject. When you write it on the board and show them the first time it’s like opening up a locked door. There are actual gasps. For this summer school session I kicked Lindsey Lohan’s Mean Girls to the curb and went with Dead Poets Society and my roots. It was a wise choice. Here are some of my student’s best work that made me giggle. Enjoy.
SOPHIA
Some night
On the Eiffel Tower in
Paris
He is there
In your heart
Always there for you

HOWARD
Hitting with an
Octopus
Will make your
Arms
Really tired.
Don’t try it
WILLIAM
Will you have an unbelievable dream?
I have a lot
Like can fly in the sky
Like can travel in space
I am William
A crazy person always
Makes the impossible dreams possible

LISA
Look
Inside your heart
Sometimes
And you will find happiness
STELLA
Stars
Twinkle atop the
Earth
Let us
Look up
All the time
ALLEN
As an odd man I
Live in a crowded place
Little sad about it
Every moment when I want a quiet place to think
No one knows
JENNY
Joy plus
Energy
Not always equals to
Negative
You are my positive
BRIAN
Beauty
Revealed
In
A
Name

No comments:

Post a Comment