Friday, July 9, 2010

Fearful Symmetry

(I wrote this song about a year ago at the Wu Wei Tang tea house in Taichung famed for poets. "Wu Wei" is a philosophy of Lao-Tsu meaning to "do nothing" and let the natural rhythm of poetry and time carry your life toward its destiny. I hope you enjoy.)

Fearful Symmetry

Lost, when I was lost, I found Robert Frost
In your Birches mused my searches
Mending Walls were crossed.
We were two roads diverging in a yellow wood
And I chose you
I chose you.

Wrath, all my wrath, went to Sylvia Plath
Broke your jar, left a scar
Scattered on a path.
We were two young lovers among the narcissi
Young lass and me
Just you and me.

But you, when I met you, you were burning bright
A tyger firefly glowing up the night
On your pages
Grinning sages
Returning lost blind sight.
Who could ever frame thy fateful symmetry?
You’re still the only poem written just for me.

For blues, my weeping blues, I sang Langston Hughes
Knelt by your river
Like a sinner
And you covered my dues.
Midnight running shadows, we had nothing to lose
But I knew you
I knew you.

Jack Kerouac, you know we chewed the fat
On the Road
My new Thoreau
You taught me how to act
Because of you I left my home and never looked back.
All for you
Because of you

But you, when I knew you, you were burning bright
A tyger firefly glowing up the night
In your poems
Were zen koans
Proving wrong was right.
Who could ever frame thy faithful symmetry?
You lived the only poem lived just for me.

William Carlos Williams, well, what did you know?
We were chilling
By your chickens
And your red wheel barrow
You told me life depends on what you couldn’t see
But I saw you.
I saw you.

ee cummings was a mystery to me
I liked your body
With my body
It was a something to see
Because of you I learned the rain has tiny hands
That call my name
That call my name.

But you, when I loved you, you were burning bright
A tyger firefly glowing up the night
No objection
To our complexion
Our light shone so bright.
Who could ever frame our fearful symmetry?
You’re still the only poem made just for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment