Wednesday, August 4, 2010

European Men in Speedos and Chick Lit Love Poems

“How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight…” -Elizabeth Barrett Browning

“Here is a brighter garden,
Where not a frost has been;
In its unfading flowers
I hear the bright bee hum:
Prithee, my brother,
Into my garden come!” - There is another sky, Emily Dickinson

“And then the day came
When the risk
To remain tight
In a bud
Was more painful
Than the risk
It took
To blossom.” - Risk, Anais Nin

“I dreamed that you bewitched me into bed
And sung me moon-struck, kissed me quite insane.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)” - Mad Girl’s Love Song, Sylvia Plath

“Then my black-eyed rival came.
The lady of water, rising on the beach,
A piano at her fingertips, shame
On her lips and a flute’s speech.
And I was the knock-kneed broom instead.
At night, alone, I marry the bed.” -Anne Sexton

“What lips my lips have kissed, and where, and why,
I have forgotten, and what arms have lain
Under my head till morning, but the rain
Is full of ghosts tonight, that tap and sigh
Upon the glass and listen for reply…” -Edna St. Vincent Millay

“As I would free the white almond from the green husk
So I would strip your trappings off,
Beloved.
And fingering the smooth and polished kernel
I should see that in my hands glittered a gem beyond counting.” -Aubade, Amy Lowell


(Of course, I'm far from perfect... but at least I know two things: how to keep my clothes on at the beach and good poems when I see 'em.)

1 comment: