Monday, November 1, 2010

Happy Halloween Everybody!

(The Hartenstein Girls Ready Themselves for Trick O' Treat)

The following are just examples of some of the strange converstions I got into this week...
Sy,
It’s amusing that you are surprised by the fact we’re both forty. I think, as a Japanese person, you should understand that we’ve both reached the age of irrelevance. It’s irrelevant to me, if it’s irrelevant to you. But yes, I feel the novels of Haruki Murakami are wordy and banal. I much prefer Yukio Mishima. I think Kyoto is probably the seventh most important city in the world to visit. My favorite first lady is Eleanor Roosevelt because she carried a loaded revolver, and in the Caribbean, there are oysters that climb trees. That’s my definition of cool. A tree climbing oyster.
Xiaomei,
Bummer that you can’t read me in China and must find me in Hong Kong. Thank you for sending the link to your pictures. They’re amazing. I like the underwater ones. The crap part of China is that they monitor the internet, the cool thing is they still use deep sea diving gear from the 60’s.
Saichi,
I didn’t know that the youngest parents in the world were 8 and 9 and lived in China in 1910. I think that is preposterous. I once saw a stack of square watermelons in Japan that were $200 US dollars each. I was told they stacked better. That was pretty amazing. Also, I love that the Japanese have a word for ‘death from overwork.” KAROSHI! Ariel,
The song I was singing in the elevator the other day was by the American poet Robert Zimmerman, and the line was:
“And every one of them words rang true and glowed like burning coal, pouring off of every page like it was written in my soul from me to you.”
Phuc,
Yes, Mark Twain did not graduate from elementary school, but he did write the first American novel on a typewriter: Tom Sawyer. It’s a story about a kid who hates going to school. What a novel thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment