Saturday, July 23, 2011

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

We awake early in the morning in the capital city of Italy, wide awake, grinning, and ready to explore.
The air is cool and quiet and we sit on the balcony and sip hot coffee and nibble almonds from the plane. My daughters are bursting, and the sky above us is the most incredible shade of azure blue.
The streets are mainly empty. Oh... a newspaper seller here and a fruit delivery man there, we throw on sweatshirts and sandals and head out chasing the fading sunlight.
The buildings are marvelous in these faded oranges and limes, soft browns and ancient reds. A man above us waves, "Ciao, bella."
"Ciao," my girls call back.
There will be stress today. There will be crowds and lines and dust and heat. There will be my fast moving eyes counting black little mopped-topped heads, little flopsy, mopsy, and cottontails dancing about trying effortlessly to turn their father's hair gray. But not now. Now, all is peaceful and we can stroll the streets to our delight.
I was reminded of Frost this morning, "The world is lovley, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep." Those words have always come to me in times like this.
These quiet little moments that are with me forever.
Dancing in the sunlight, breaking off into a dead run and whispering, "Catch me if you can."
We head out into the marvels of Roma today. Out onto streets well traveled and paved. Together. Happy. Ciao, Bella. Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment