Thursday, December 15, 2011

Ode to a Pair of Socks, by Pablo Neruda

“Maru Mori brought me a pair of socks that she knit with her shepherd’s hands.” -Neruda
Bread selections from the China Medical University Hospital bakery: Weiner Cheese Role, Fried Noodle Sandwich, Potato Bacon Sandwich, Seaweed Pork Floss Salad Bread, Egg Tart, French Tuna Corn, Sweet Corn and Ham Waffle, Puff Puff Floss Bread, and Taiwan Melon Roll
“I thrust my feet inside them as if they were two little boxes knit from threads of sunset and sheepskin.” -Neruda
The people of Taiwan are bundled up. I see scarves and mittens, woolen face wraps and heavy thick coats. Students are wearing t-shirts, sweaters, jackets, and complaining of the cold. It’s 23 degrees C. That’s 73 degrees F.
“The way schoolboys put fireflies in a bottle, the way scholars hoard holy writ…” -Neruda
Watched this teaching demo on Pablo Neruda’s Ode to a Pair of Socks…this new teacher getting his groove on as he talked and talked and talked and talked and talked it to death… I had to fill out this evaluation form and I couldn’t even look at him. In the end I just scribbled…”Why didn’t you have the kids take off their shoes?”
“Good things are doubly good when you’re talking about a pair of wool socks in the dead of winter.” -Neruda
Heading back to the hospital now, going to hug Xian, going to whisper to her in her machine induced sleep... sweet words like "Crusty old firemen," and "the moral of my ode is beauty,"... "gorgeous socks" and "golden cage." We're not out of the woods yet, but I can see the toes of the grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment