Saturday, February 4, 2012

"Home Thoughts From Abroad" by Robert Browning

"Oh, to be in England now that April's there, and whoever wakes in england sees, some morning, unaware." -Browning

While walking through the Yangon Chinatown Market, stepping over litter-ridden gutters and kicking dust beside market stalls, I paused for a moment to recite an old Robert Browning poem I've always loved about Spring and flowers and such sweet thoughts...I could use it in this old place full of filth. I hope you all like it too. Here are some faces I saw while reciting Browning. That's funny, isn't it?
"That the lowest boughs and the brush-wood sheaf round the elm-tree bole are in tiny leaf." -Browning
"While the chaffinch sings on the orchard bough in England -now!" -Browning
"And after April, when May follows, and the whitethroat builds, and all the swallows!" -Browning
"Hark, where my blossomed pear-tree in the hedge leans to the filed and scatters on the clover..." -Browning
"Blossoms and dewdrops- at the bent spray's edge- that's the wise thrush; he sings each song twice over..." -Browning
"Lest you should think he never could recapture the first fine careless rapture!" -Browning
"And though the fields look rough with hoary dew, all will be gay when noontide wakes anew..." -Browning
"The buttercups, the little children's dower far brighter than this gaudy melon-flower!" -Browning
(Robert Browning was a great traveler. He wrote this poem in Italy, the county he loved best, next to England of course.)

1 comment:

  1. He bought me a drink on my birthday

    ReplyDelete