Saturday, February 4, 2012

Where Water Comes Together With Other Water

"These nights are very unclear here. But the moon is full, we know it." -Raymond Carver, Romanticism

Strolling around Yangon's decayed colonial architecture at dusk, I walk for miles through the city until I reach the river. Stop and sit on the cinder blocks while the muddy water flows and think about Raymond Carver
"So early it's still almost dark out. I'm near the window with coffee, and the usual early morning stuff that passes for thought." -Raymond Carver, Happiness
"Anyway, it's too late for you, as I said. You're grownup now, and lovely..." -Raymond Carver, To My Daughter
"Every man's life is a mystery, even as yours is, and mine." -Raymond Carver, Reading
"When I came out here I was trying to get away from everything. Especially literature." -Raymond Carver, Radio Waves
"Driving lickety-split to make the ferry! Snow Creek and then Dog Creek fly by in the headlights." -Raymond Carver, Movement
"I love you, Bro, you said. And then a sob passed between us." -Raymond Carver, The Old Days
"Moving toward whatever ancient thing it is that works the chains..." -Raymond Carver, Energy
"Would I live my life over again? Make the same unforgivable mistakes? Yes, given half a chance. Yes." -Raymond Carver, Rain
"It pleases me, loving rivers, loving them all the way back to their source. Loving everything that increases me." -Raymond Carver, Where Water Comes Together With Other Water

These evenings, wandering until lost, legs throbbing, back covered in sweat, skin tight and picked from the sun, all I hope is to sit by the water and find the place where forgetting and remembering come together.  Give away and Keep.  I hope you all have days like today.

No comments:

Post a Comment