Friday, May 4, 2012

How to Ride Away on Clouds

Today is one of those days where I know to stay away from people. Today is just one of those days where I might snap.
I barricade myself behind a closed classroom and let the ceiling fans spin and the air-conditioning blow and when there’s knocks on the door I hold my breath and sit very still and when I hear them walking away I continue slowly and softly as if my fingers were cat paws, typing away in the dark.
I don’t want to give away any more secrets. I don’t want to try and be a help. No offering of my body to be a sounding board for your problems. No sacrificing of my time to engage you toward some epiphany.
No making you feel special, no encouraging your hidden genius, no drawing out your talents to make you feel the world needs you. Because they don’t, and it doesn’t. I’m not going to try and inspire anyone or think up some pep talk to whisper in some kid’s ear. I’m not going to pay attention to the little details and write them on slips of paper to stuff in your pockets or on the random margins of your homework passed back to you like some royal seal of approval.
No, in fact, I might never come out again. I’ll be known as the Hermit of Classroom 302. Just some old bearded lunatic, a spook story to tell your children… don’t take his class or he’ll skin you alive… he’ll grind your bones to make his bread.
That's what I get for believing it matters, for trusting in the difference in makes. Oops! There's the bell... more footsteps in the hallways than can be counted. What to do? Quick. Hide. Maybe no one will notice I've slipped out the back and ridden away on a cloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment