Saturday, July 14, 2012

Jesus at the Louvre

(Jesus at the crucifixion) 

If you know the story of Jesus, and I do... and you choose to believe in the story of Jesus, and I do... then you know that Jesus was a bad ass.

 (Mary of Bethany washes Jesus's feet with her hair)

People flocked to him.  He would be in a crowded room very silently moving as people just wanted to touch the hem of his coat... I would too.

 (Jesus and Mother Mary)

There's confusion, Jesus from this little child to an adult... those years are missing from the Bible... so what happened?  What was he doing during this time?

 (Jesus and Barrabas ascend to Heaven)

It's for the scholars and saints to debate.

 (INRI  are the initials that Pontius Pilate had written over the head of Jesus Christ, they say in Latin: Iesus Nazarenus, Rex Iudaeorum- King of the Jews)

I just know that the Romans have a record of a Jesus of Nazareth that they crucified and over five hundred people report to having seen him alive and well after his reported death.

 (The mysticism of Christ)

If that happened today social media would explode.

 (Jesus appears to Mary and Martha after his death)

Maybe it's just that I grew up with the stories and that's how I choose to see the world.  If so, I'm fine with that.
 (The Passion)

It's the way my family is, the language that we speak to each other, and I've always appreciated that too.
 (Crown of Thorns)

So when you go to places like the Louvre, and you seen dozens and dozens of art work depicting the struggle of Christ... and you realize the beating he took, how he was tough enough to take it... having his flesh ripped off and his body pierced and broken and strung up to die... well, it moves you.
(Laid in the Tomb)

I know that I wouldn't have been able to take it.  I would have given in, given up... I couldn't have made it.  Only one could, and he did.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there - I stumbled across you blog trying to find a picture of Mary of Bethany, so I was wondering if you would mind if I used the one you have taken and posted here (background for a slide show for a church service), and any of the others if I found a similar use - they're all pretty cool.
    Regards,
    Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great Cameron,

    Good luck with the slide show!

    Hartenstein

    ReplyDelete