Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Gershwin's An American in Paris

“I’ve got rhythm. I’ve got music. Who could ask for anything more?” -I’ve Got Rhythm

An American in Paris is a 1951 MGM musical film inspired by the 1928 orchestral composition of George Gershwin, the lyrics are by his brother, Ira.
“Listen to the rhythm of my heart beat and you’ll get what I mean.” -Embraceable You

Sidestepping through back alleys in Paris and stopping to people watch and scribble.  Amid all these things I feel like singing a song.
“The radio and the telephone and the movies that we know may just be passing fancies.” -Love is here to Stay

I've taken a little room next to the Gare du Nord station with a small balcony.  Out my window I can see the Sacred Heart cathedral in Montmartre.
“Embrace me, my sweet embraceable you.” -Embraceable You

Stumbled upon a small Arc and did a little jig with some street musicians.
“Tell me papa, am I not a lucky guy, just listen to my heart go pitter-patter.” -Tra-La-La

Watched this young woman hop off her bike and run into a store.  There is nothing more beautiful in Paris than young women in skirts riding bicycles with baskets.
“You can’t blame me for feeling amorous.” - ‘S Wonderful

I love wandering the streets just looking at the buildings and the walls.  I am lost in Paris walls.
“When I want a melody lilting through the house then I want a melody by Strauss.” -By Strauss

Of course, as lost as you get, there are always reminders where you come from and where you are going.
“Keep the wine and give me song.” -By Strauss

Life is so full of joy... there is this lyric in An American in Paris I love...“Its madness to be always sitting around in sadness when you could be learning the steps of gladness.”  Stairway to Paradise.  That's how I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment