Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Falling Buddhaliciously in Love in Classic MGM Style

  “Embrace me, my sweet embraceable you.  Embrace me, you irreplaceable you.  Just one look at you—my heart grew tipsy in me.  You and you alone bring out the gypsy in me.”  -Gershwin, An American in Paris

You never really thought it would come back, but then it did... this old song bubbling in your chest that just has to come out.  You feel it so deep in your bones.  You don't want to admit it, but it has to be true.  You've fallen in love, again.
  “Maybe the air gave me the drive, for I’m all aglow and alive.  What a day this has been!  What a rare mood I’m in!  Why, it’s almost like being in love!”  -Loewe and Lerner, Brigadoon

You thought about it sitting on the stone benches outside Perfume Pagoda, high atop Huong Tich Mountain of fragrances... it was the Buddhists who got you thinking...
  “The day was bright, the air was sweet, the smell of honeysuckle charmed you off your feet.  You tried to sing but couldn’t squeak.  In fact, you loved him so you couldn’t even speak.  Buzz.  Buzz.  Buzz went the buzzer.  Plop.  Plop.  Plop went the wheels.  Stop.  Stop.  Stop went my heartstrings…”  -Martin, The Trolley Song, Meet Me in St. Louis

You see, Buddhist believe in love... oh yes, but it's a spiritual kind of love that allows them to show kindness and compassion... it's not romantic.  No... the Buddhists shun romantic love.
  “Days can be sunny with never a sigh.  Don’t need what money can buy.  Birds in the trees sing their day full of song.  Why shouldn’t we sing along…”  -Gershwin, I Got Rhythm, An American in Paris

Instead they focus on the nature of reality. How we all feel attachment and aversions toward control and happiness... but it's fleeting, an illusion.  True happiness and love comes when you let go and allow the other person to exist free of want or desire which causes suffering. 
 “I’m laughing at clouds so dark up above.  The sun’s in my heart, and I’m ready for love.  Let the stormy clouds chase everyone from the place.  Come on with the rain, I’ve a smile on my face…”  -Comden & Green, Singin’ in the Rain

This letting go is at the essence of Buddhisim.
 “If I seem to scintillate, it’s because I’ve got a date.  A date with a package of the good things that come with love…”  -Berlin, Stepping out With My Baby, Easter Parade

Thank God, you're not a Buddhist!  Because falling in love makes you want to scream for joy, hug random strangers, and kiss puppies.  Romantic love makes you want to touch and hold and burst out into uncontrollable fits of broadway musicals!
“Can’t we two go walkin’ together, out beyond the valley of trees?  Out where there’s a hillside of heather, curtsyin’ gently in the breeze.  That’s what I’d like to do: see the heather, but with you…”
–Lerner,  Heather on the Hill, Brigadoon

But you know you have to let it go... to breathe, to survive... still, that doesn't stop you from singing on the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment