Thursday, March 21, 2013

Paul Simon Concert Taipei Taiwan 2013

"Home, where my thoughts escaping.  Home, where my musics playing.  Home, where my love lies waiting silently for me."  -Paul Simon, Homeward Bound

 It was just magic!  He started with "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" and "Still Crazy," moving on to "Kodachrome" and "Hearts and Bones." 
"Take my arms that I might reach you... but my words, like silent raindrops fell..."  Paul Simon, The Sounds of Silence

This little man with a little voice who knows how to use it... Paul Simon is 73 years old, and he can still blow you away.
"The arc of a love affair, waiting to be restored..."  -Paul Simon, Hearts and Bones

Backed by this amazing multi-talented eight man band... all of whom played four to five instruments each during the near two hour set.  They were crazy!  Rolling through Elvis Presely and Chet Atkins covers, as well as a truly intimate George Harrison piece.  There was African chanting and zydeco and Southern Gospel... and of course... the songs I grew up on.
"He's a poor boy, empty as a pocket with nothing to lose."  -Paul Simon, Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes

He played "Cecila" and "Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes," and "Late in the Evening" and "Me and Julio," and "Mother and Child Reunion," and I couldn't help but to stand and cheer and sing a long too.
"First thing I remember when you came into my life I said I wanna get that girl no matter what I do..."  Paul Simon, Late in the Evening

 The concert was to promote his new album, "So Beautiful.  So What" which is lyrical and smooth and nostalgic ... but we came for the old stuff... as Simon called it, "The Old S&G."  And he didn't disappoint with "Homeward Bound," and especially my favorite song, "The Boxer," which has always meant so much to me.
"And he carries the reminders, of every glove that layed him down or cut him till he cried out in his anger and his shame, 'I am leaving.  I am leaving...'"  -Paul Simon, The Boxer

After about the third encore, my friend Paul and I rushed the stage with a couple of other goofy foreigners and before you knew it... everyone was dancing and screaming... He played, "Call me Al."  It was just hilarious.  I'm still buzzing about it hours later.  I laughed the whole night.  Bittersweet.  Thoughtful.  Nostalgic.  Heartbreaking.  Lyrical.  A soundtrack for your life.  What a sweet, sweet night of music.  Thank you, Paul Simon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment