Monday, July 15, 2013

Tom and Huck Skin Out to the Island

 “I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she’s going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can’t stand it.  I been there before.”  -Huck Finn

Out on the Red Sea, a couple miles off Farazan, the boat would coast and we'd skin dive out to the white sand beaches of deserted islands.
 “We said there warn’t no home like a raft, after all.  Other places do seem so cramped up and smothery, but a raft don’t.  You feel mighty free and easy and comfortable on a raft.”  -Huck Finn

Nothing around but sand and rock and shore.
 “If I never learnt nothing else out of pap, I learnt that the best way to get along with his kind of people is to let them have their own way.”  -Huck Finn

Times like these, sitting in the hot sun looking out at the endless water, I think about Huck and Tom and what they'd say about my particular predicament.
 “What’s the use you learning to do right, when it’s troublesome to do right and ain’t no trouble to do wrong, and the wages is just the same?”  -Huck Finn

Tom would come up with some elaborate scheme where I faked my own death and Huck would pledge us Indian blood brothers if I hid out in his cave until it all blew over...
 “H’aint we got all the fools in town on our side?  And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?”  -Huck Finn

Silly boys with heads full of dreams.
 “You don’t know about me without you have read a book by the name of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer; but that ain’t no matter.  That book was made by Mr. Mark Twain and he told the truth, mainly.  There was things which he stretched, but mainly he told the truth.”  -Huck Finn

I miss solving problems with dreams.
“I don’t want no better book than what your face is.”  Huck Finn

So I sat there a while and watched the sun go down like a ripe peach hanging over the horizon.  Dug my toes in the hot sand deep in thought.  You know, the captain of our little boat, a black skinned African from Eritrea, chewed a cigar and had a long silver dagger strapped to his calf.  I think I’d like to do that too.  So I skinned it back to the boat and gave it a try for old time’s sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment