Sunday, October 6, 2013

Belly Dancers and Trinket Junk: Strolling Souqs in Riyadh

 Touring the open air souq markets of Riyadh is quite a funny experience.
 Trinkets and beads and blankets and dishes.  Old phonographs and prayer rugs and beaded belly dancer veils...
 Awesome sheikh mugs and veiled woman coffee cups and ...well, basically junk souvenirs galore!
 How'd you like it if somebody brought a belly dancer outfit back for you?  Well... at the very least, I can hang it up in my NEXT classroom?
 Chess boards and oil lamps, wooden camels, war horns and scimitar knives...
 Candle sticks and hookah pipes and weavings strung together...
 Rugs and shawls and funny corners for curious souls...
 I wandered all the afternoon looking for something to catch my eye and open my pocketbook...
 I found it!
I left Riyadh happy.  Returning to Jizan with one goal:  I had to get out.  It was time to leave Saudi.  But how?  The answer to which remained a mystery.

1 comment:

  1. Salam. Hi..can you help me what is the name of this souq and where in Riyadh they located?thankyou

    ReplyDelete