Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Captain and Tennille in Chop Chop Square Riyadh

"Love, love will keep us together.  Think of me babe whenever... some sweet talking girl comes along, singing her song.  Don't mess around you've just got to be strong..."  -Captain and Tennille 

Despite the advice of many, I wandered north past King Fahd Road to infamous 'Chop Chop Square.'
"Do that to me one more time, once is never enough, with a man like you..."  -Captain and Tennille 

Here outside the Mamask Fortress is where the Saudis behead criminals against the kingdom and Islam.
"And they whirled and they twirled and they tangoed.  Singin' and jinglin' the jango.  Floatin' like the heavens above..."  -Captain and Tennille

 I'm used to sticking out like a sore thumb, but here I was especially noticeable, and many stopped to watch and keep me in their sights.
"You are sunshine.  You are shadows.  You are morning.  You are night."  -Captain and Tennile 

But most went about their business... pushing baby strollers and drinking afternoon tea in the languishing dusk.
"Keep a song of joy inside your heart and even though the time as come for us to part..."  -Captain and Tennile

Me...?  I was wandering around singing love songs from the 70's in my head.  Why?  Because there are places in the mind that no one can take away.  That no one can touch.  Save them for yourself.  And on days like this... live in them while you tread among men with swords.

No comments:

Post a Comment