Monday, October 21, 2013

When I Heard the Learned Astronomer by Walt Whitman

“When I heard the learn'd astronomer…”  -Whitman

Spent the day out at Aunt Lisa's farm.  My Big Sister with the heart of gold.
Xian's Journal, June 4th, 2013-  "We went to Aunt Lisa's house for dinner.  She has goats, chickens, turkeys, a goose, a spider named "Sharlotte," a lizard (dragon) and a black lab named Lokie who loves children.  Aunt Lisa has a little garden too, it has carrots, cucumbers, raddish, celaree, lettis, brocolie..."  
“When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me…”  -Whitman

Lisa is one in a million.  An elementary school teacher who darns kid's socks and wipes noses and brings books into children's lives.  She's about the closest thing to a saint I know.
“When I was shown the charts and diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them…”  
-Whitman

Everyday Lisa gets about seven to ten eggs from her different chickens... an impossible amount to consume.  So, she does what any farmer would do... she barters.  She brings buckets of eggs to her neighbor, and he comes by and chops her wood for the winter.  
“When I sitting, heard the astronomer where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room…”  -Whitman

Time was, when winters were harsh, Lisa would bring the animals into the house.  I remember one time she had about twenty baby chickens chirping around under a heat lamp on her kitchen table... even the goats come inside.
“How soon unaccountable I became tired and sick…”  -Whitman

When I hear stories like that... I just stand back and marvel.  
“Till rising and gliding out I wander'd off by myself…”  -Whitman

Husband Jeff rocks the garden too.  Lettuce big as truck wheels.  Carrots so sweet right out of the ground.  Just dust off the earth and snap a bite.  Best taste you've ever had.
“In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time…”  -Whitman  

I meet so many people who are looking for answers, searching for solutions, struggling with how and why... not my Big Sister.  
“Look'd up in perfect silence at the stars.”  -Whitman

Today I unloaded on someone and they reminded me of this poem and the work we do.  So... I thought of you.
Of course, this guy wasn't far behind.  Nice hat, Walt.

No comments:

Post a Comment