Saturday, November 2, 2013

Having a Coke with You at Multnomah Falls

“is even more fun that going to San Sebastian, Irun, Hendaye, Biarritz, Bayonne or even being sick to my stomach on the Travesera de Gracia in Barcelona…”  - O’Hara, Having a Coke with You

First chance, we all piled into Lisa's minivan and headed out into the Gorge.
“partly because in your orange shirt you look like a better happier St. Sebastian, partly because of my love for you…”  - O’Hara, Having a Coke with You

Clouds and rain and green trees...after the desert, I couldn't believe I'd grown up surrounded by so much green.
“partly because of your love for yoghurt, partly because of the fluorescent orange tulips around the birches…”  - O’Hara, Having a Coke with You

So many things have changed around me, nieces and nephews growing, friends moving here and there... but the landscape is still the same.
“partly because of the secrecy our smiles take on… it is hard to believe when I’m with you that there can be anything as still as solemn… as statuary… in the warm New York 4 o’clock light…”  - O’Hara, Having a Coke with You

Retreat into the land that you call love.
“we are drifting back and forth between each other like a tree breathing through its spectacles.”  - O’Hara, Having a Coke with You

I know it's nothing... if we were living in Oregon, things like Saturday morning hikes in the mist would be so common place...
Xian's American Journal-  "We drove with Aunt Lisa, Gillian, and Nate to Multnomah Falls and Crown Point were we hiked in the rain and we had a picnic at Multnomah Falls..."
“I look at you and I would rather look at you than all the portraits in the world…”  - O’Hara, Having a Coke with You

But thinking about the Saudi desert... thinking about the grime and city filth of Asia... makes me appreciate Oregon so much more.
“what good do all the Impressionists do them when they never got that right person to stand near the tree when the sun sank…it seems they were all cheated of some marvelous experience…hich is not going to go wasted on me which is why I am telling you about it.”  - O’Hara, Having a Coke with You

We spread out a blanket on the rocks and passed bananas and trail mix around.  Lisa, my forever Big Sister slash elementary school teaching goddess came prepared...juice boxes and Oreos and even in the Oregon rain, especially because of the Oregon rain dripping on our foreheads, it was perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment