Tuesday, December 17, 2013

New York State of Mind

“It comes down to reality, and its fine with me cause I’ve let it slide…”  -Joel,  New York State of Mind

We rolled into New York City on the overnight flight... the girls so excited they couldn't even sleep. 
“Don’t care if it’s Chinatown or on Riverside.  I don’t have any reasons.  I’ve left them all behind…”  -Joel,  New York State of Mind

Checked into an amazing hotel, yes, the same one a few days later Amanda Bynes went nuts in... next to Central Park just in time for fresh pastries, coffee, and a stroll.
“It was so easy living day by day, out of touch with the rhythm and blues…”  -Joel,  New York State of Mind

Hit the Empire State and Time's Square and Lady Liberty and the MET, hit Broadway and Harlem and Hell's Kitchen and all places in between for a week.
“But now I need a little give and take, the New York Times, the Daily News…”  -Joel,  New York State of Mind

Walked the Brooklyn Bridge with Xian and spent an afternoon in in SOHO... we were mad... completely mad.
“Some folks like to get away, take a holiday from the neighborhood.  Hop a flight to Miami Beach or to Hollywood…”   -Joel, New York State of Mind

There is really nothing like traveling with children...to see the world through their eyes...
“I’ve seen all the movie stars in their fancy cars and their limousines.  Been high in the Rockies under the evergreens…”  -Joel, New York State of Mind

Stopping for things they must see and know...to touch and wonder about...
“But I’m takin’ a Greyhoud on the Hudson River line...”  -Joel, New York State of Mind

To be in that Dad Mindset where everything I do is for them, every place I go is to build and teach something inside them.  It's exhilarating.  
“I know what I’m needin’, and I don’t want to waste more time...”  -Joel, New York State of Mind

And no greater city than this...New York.  Enjoy the next few East Coast Blogs... some poetry, song, travelogues...it's almost Christmas, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment