Friday, January 3, 2014

'Macbeth Karaoke' at the Metropolitan Museum of Art: New York City


“If you ever find yourself lost in the dark and you can’t see… I’ll be the light to guide you.”  -Mars, You Can Count on Me


Still in New York.  New year but still thinking and replaying the last.  I guess, we’re just not ready to give it up quite yet.  
“And it’s a sad picture, the final blow hits you… somebody else gets what you wanted it can’t end…”  -Swift, Change


Spent the whole day wandering through the complex.  Put maps in our back pockets.  Paused to tell stories…posed in front of famous stuff... enjoyed ourselves to the end.
“Time stands still, beauty in all she is, I will be brave, I will not let anything take away what’s standing in front of me…”  -Perri, A Thousand Years


Museums are so weirdly random, you never know what you're going to come face to face with.  Some priceless artifact or an object from a distant memory you barely remember... but you know it has meaning.
“I’m just a little bit caught in the middle, life is a maze and love is a riddle, I don’t know where to go, can’t do it alone, I’ve tried and I don’t know why…”  -Lenka, The Show


Even in silence, museums speak to us.
“So what?  I’m still a rock star.  I’ve got my rock moves.  And I don’t need you…”  -Pink, So What?


It's like this school assignment I gave recently called 'Macbeth Karaoke' where students performed a pop-song then related the lyrics to the famous Scottish Tragedy.  
“But if I should break, if I should fall away… what am I to do?”  -Lenka, Don’t Let Me Fall


And the whole time they're signing, some strumming guitars others playing piano, I can't help but see this old play I've taught dozens of times in a new light.
“No apologies, he’ll never see you cry.  Pretends he doesn’t know that he’s the reason why you’re drowning…”  -Swift, I knew You were Trouble


I see Macbeth walking alone on the moor, blood on his face, wind sweeping through his hair, the loneliness of his world, the dreams in his heart that he could become something, yet trapped by his fear of the unnatural world.  As different kids sang, I was transported away and saw the play in a completely different light.  How remarkable is that, to see something new for the first time?
“But everybody’s like: Crystal.  Maybach.  Diamonds on your timepiece.  Jet planes.  Islands.  Tigers on a gold leash…”  -Lorde, Royals

That whole day at The MET, I led my daughters around telling them funny stories and whispering little poems in their ears.  It was new for them.  Same old Dad, but something new.  That's the whole point, is it not?

No comments:

Post a Comment