Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Somewhere I Have Never Traveled, Gladly Beyond: e.e. Cummings in Our Beloved Boston

“Somewhere I have never traveled, gladly beyond
Any experience, your eyes have their silence…”  -e.e. cummings

Boston is one of our favorite cities in the world and so of course, after New York, we took the girls there.
“In your most frail gesture are things which enclose me,
Or which I cannot touch because they are too near…”  -e.e. cummings

Across from Trinity Church, we laid in the grass in front of the Hancock Building and dipped our feet in the fountain pond.
“Your slightest look easily will unclose me
Though I have closed myself as fingers…”  -e.e. cummings

Jogged up to Acorn Street, the most photographed street in America, and touched the cobblestone paths.
“You open always petal by petal myself as Spring opens
(touching skillfully, mysteriously) her first rose…”  -e.e. cummings

Hopped and skipped along the Charles River, stopping on stone bridges to laugh and feed ducks.
“Or if you wish be to close me, I and
My life will shut very beautifully, suddenly…”  -e.e. cummings

Bought blueberries in the Public Garden Market, marveled at the sunflowers.
“As when the heart of this flower imagines
The snow carefully everywhere descending…”  -e.e. cummings

Raced up and down the historic staircase at Trinity Church... can you believe this is voted one of the Ten Most Important Architectural Buildings in America?  Who Knew!
“Nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals
The power of your intense fragility…  -e.e. cummings

Rested our weary legs...
“Whose texture compels me with the color it its countries
Rendering death and forever with each breathing…”  -e.e. cummings

Aimlessly stood on corners watching the sunlight fade over the buildings...
“I do not know what it is about you that closes
And opens; only something in my understands
The voice of your eyes is deeper than all roses
Nobody, not even the rain, has such small hands.”  -e.e. cummings

Played hide and seek in the park...Thought about funny poems...Hey, Tag!  You're it.

No comments:

Post a Comment