Monday, February 17, 2014

Asian Zombie Walk

Every morning I make the long walk up to the new school.  My little mountain cottage classroom outside the city.
Every morning I get in line with the students and make the long walk upward.  Heads bowed heavy.  Shoulders slooped.  Dragging their feet unwittingly as if a long march of the dead toward ultimate doom.
So much of this place rides a weird wave of depression and woe.
Brilliant unenthusiasm.  Spectacular lack of passion.  A curiosity of the world long since bled out and sacrificed on the alter of memorized national tests and cram school culture.
It permeates almost all aspects of life.  The doctor that confides to me that she hates her patients... and only became a physician to make money...the school administrator that tells me he loathes his stupid students... and puts no effort into his class because his students just criticize him anyway.
Such a strange and obliterating world...
When all I see is little beauty everywhere... like our snowman stones...
Or a student mural tucked in the corner...
A student defying convention...
There's nothing to do but not give up.
To continue to find humor and beauty in even the most mundane...
To serve...to thrive... to enjoy every day here...I'm not brain dead... I'm basking, and I'm taking as many people with me into the light as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment