Saturday, February 22, 2014

Heaven for Climate, Hell for Company

When I see students looking into the eyes of old photos hanging on my class window I whisper to them… “Staring contests are an act of bravery.  You’re challenging the other not to miss one wink.”  -Hartenstein
“Re-examine all that you have been told… dismiss that which insults your soul.”  -Whitman
“Age is an issue of mind over matter.  If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.”  -Twain

“Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.”  -Twain
“Like the surf biting the shore, again and again…”  Sexton
“Never get out of bed before noon.”  -Bukowski
“My life as a dog.”  -Thomas
“I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artist.  Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit.”  -Steinbeck
“All the stories I wrote were true, because I believed in what I saw.”  -Kerouac 
“Humor is laughing at what you haven’t got when you ought to have it.”  -Hughes
“Kiss me, and you will see how important I am.”  -Plath
“The only way to behave to a woman is to make love to her, if she is pretty, and to some one else, if she is plain.”  -Wilde
“Men are governed by lines of intellect- women by curves of emotion.”  -Joyce
“Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.”  -Poe

No comments:

Post a Comment