Thursday, February 13, 2014

Sailing Alone Around the World

“As for myself, the wonderful sea charmed me from the first.  At the age of eight I had already been afloat along with other boys on the bay, with chances greatly in favor of being drowned.”  -Sailing Alone Around the World, Joshua Slocum, 1844-1909

We say farewell to America while standing in the sun.
“Waves dancing joyously across Massachusetts Bay met the sloop coming out, to dash themselves instantly into myriads of sparkling gems…”    -Sailing Alone Around the World, Joshua Slocum, 1844-1909

Back across the Pacific, crossing the great body of water between us.
“It was daybreak when the archer was at the hawse.  By this time the wind had gone down and cat’spaws took the place of williwaws…”   -Sailing Alone Around the World, Joshua Slocum, 1844-1909

A new sense of joy and adventure before us.
“I was determined to rely on my own small resources to repair damages of the great gale which drove me southward toward the Horn…”   -Sailing Alone Around the World, Joshua Slocum, 1844-1909

My sweet voiced and angelic companions to keep me same.
“I was determined to rely on my own small resources to repair damages of the great gale which drove me southward toward the Horn…”   -Sailing Alone Around the World, Joshua Slocum, 1844-1909

So much ahead of us...
“When morning came there was no land in sight, but the day went on the same as days before, save for one small incident.  Governor Sterndale had given me a bag of coffee and Clark, the American, in an evil moment, had put a goat on board…”  -Sailing Alone Around the World, Joshua Slocum, 1844-1909

We don't look back.

No comments:

Post a Comment