Saturday, February 15, 2014

Valentine Wishes and Wonderfully Beautiful Lies in Earnest

GWENDOLEN:  But we will not be the first to speak.
CECILY:  Certainly not.
GWENDOLEN:  Mr. Worthing, I have something very particular to ask you.  Much depends on your reply.
CECILY:  Gwendolen, your common sense is invaluable.  Mr. Moncrief kindly answer me the following question.  Why did you pretend to be my guardian’s brother?
ALGERNON:  In order that I might have an opportunity of meeting you.
CECILY:  (To GWENDOLEN.)  That certainly seems a satisfactory explanation, does it not?
GWENDOLEN:  Yes, dear, if you can believe him.
CECILY:  I don’t but that does not affect the wonderful beauty of his answer.
GWENDOLEN:  True.  In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity is the vital thing.

-Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest


P.S.  –Tell me lies, such sweet and beautiful little lies, but there is  no such thing as love.

No comments:

Post a Comment