Saturday, March 15, 2014

The Classroom is Your White Whale

“From hell’s heart I stab at thee!”  -Ahab, Moby Dick

What an incredible find!  The ancient dusty and moldy curtain tie holder mounted on the wooden window of my little mountain classroom… is the White Whale Moby Dick.
 “What I’ve dared, I’ve willed; and what I’ve willed, I’ll do!  They think me mad… I am madness maddened!”  -Ahab, Moby Dick

The classroom will always be this magical place that exists outside of time and reality...students must be pushed, poked, brought to a point of uncomfort, to a point of risk, a precipice brink... only then can they show you what they are made of...only then does it mean anything...
So when I saw the White Whale, it's great tale broken... I laughed and laughed and laughed some more… these little moments slay me.  As if the universe is saying the struggle is worth it, that even though you are utterly alone in wild pursuits, that you are on the right path… Or is it the opposite… that you have fallen into singular madness that will lead to your ruin.  Wicked laughter… Ahab laughter… Onward!

P.S. -Yes, they glow in the dark!  But of course!


No comments:

Post a Comment