Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Bob Seger Lays it Down


 “She stood there bright as the sun on that California coast
He was a mid-western boy on his own
She looked at him with those soft  eyes so innocent and blue
He knew right then he was too far from home.”  -Hollywood Nights, Seger

Jogging through the streets of Paris at dawn listening to headphones...
 “I know it’s late, I know you’re weary
I know your plans don’t include me
Still here we are, both of us lonely
Longing for shelter from all that we see.”  -We’ve Got Tonight, Seger

Hop the urine puddle and the drunk gypsy curled around a burlap sack...
 “Here comes the rich man in his big long limousine
Here comes the poor man all you got to have is green
Here comes the banker and the lawyer and the cop
One thing for certain it ain’t never gonna stop.”  -Fire Down Below, Seger

Two lovers grope behind a tree.  Boy shoots death glare as I glide by...
 “Twelve hours out of Mackinaw City
Stopped in a bar to have a brew
Met a girl and we had a few drinks
And I told her what I’d decided to do
She looked out the window a long long moment
Then she looked into my eyes
She didn’t say a thing
I knew what she was thinking.”  -Roll Me Away, Seger

Stop on a corner for the light to change, street sweepers and black garbage bags and store fronts closed in the blue light.
 “In the pool halls, the hustlers and the losers
I used to watch ‘em through the glass
Well I’d stand outside at closing time
Just to watch her walk on past…”  -Mainstreet, Seger

Through the wet grass soaking up my sneakers, I come to an ivy covered courtyard where an old man is pulling a rusted bicycle from a rack.  We smile.  I nod, and then he points to my headphones...
“Don’t try to take me to a disco
You’ll never even get me out on the floor

In ten minutes I’ll be late for the door…”  -Old Time Rock and Roll, Seger

So I take them off and place one against his ear.  Loud blaring rock and roll, American rock and roll!  The old man startles back and looks at me so knowingly as I speak way louder than any human should in a silent French courtyard at 5:30 a.m.  "THAT BOB SEGER REALLY LAYS IT DOWN, HUH?"  He nods... and both of us are on our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment