Thursday, September 4, 2014

Hemingway in the Moonlight

 “If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man… “  -Hemingway

(Your mind is always with you... never more so than in Paris.  Old man Hemingway knew it sure.)
 “Then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you…”  -Hemingway

(Standing in the rain outside the Hotel De Ville.)
 “For Paris is a moveable feast.”  -Hemingway

(Waiting for dawn's light at the Cafe Le Dome.)
 “When good Americans die, they go to Paris.”  -Wilde

(Skipping the queue at Musee d'Orsay on a Sunday afternoon... kid's free.)
 “I’ve seen you beauty, and you belong to me now, whoever you are waiting for and if I never see you again, I thought.  You belong to me and all Paris belongs to me…”  -Hemingway

(Laying cock-eyed sideways at the Grand Palais.)
 “… and I belong to this notebook and pencil.”  -Hemingway

(Whispering such tales to the metro at midnight.)
 “I love the night passionately. I love it as I love my country, or my mistress, with an instrinctive, deep unshakable love.  I love it with all my senses:  I love to see it, I love to breathe it in, I love to open my ears to its silence.  I love my whole body to be caressed by its blackness.”  -Guy de Maupassant

(Snapping shots boldly with your camera next to the sign that reads:  NO PHOTOGRAPHY ALLOWED!)
 “But Paris was a very old city and we were young…”  -Hemingway

(Breathing on the glass of a bookstore along Rue Riviloi in the blue light of morning.)
 “… and nothing was simple, not even poverty.”  -Hemingway

(Laughing with your daughter, looking up lamp post skirts at Palais Garnier.)
 “Nor sudden money, nor the moonlight…”  -Hemingway

(Lapping up ice cream at the Lafayette, mesmerized by the glass ceiling, gnawing the plastic spoon.)
 “Nor right or wrong nor the breathing of someone who lay beside you in the moonlight.”  -Hemingway

(Buying one just to eat cake off Mona Lisa's sultry grin.  Yeah, Hemingway knew the moonlight in Paris too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment