Thursday, September 25, 2014

Sonnet 73 at Shakespeare and Company Books, Paris

 
“That time of year thou mayst in me behold…” –Sonnet 73

On a little rainy late summer morning in Paris...
“When yellow leaves, or none, or few do hang…” –Sonnet 73

I slipped out to my favorite book store in the world.
“Upon the boughs which shake against the cold…” –Sonnet 73

Up the stairs into the little nook beside the Children's Literature Section...
“Bare ruined choirs, where late the sweet birds sang…” –Sonnet 73

And look who came with me!
“In me thou see’st the twilight of such day…” –Sonnet 73

I adore this little bookstore with it's crusty wooden shelves and old posters of Walt Whitman.
“As after sunset fadeth in the west…” –Sonnet 73

Sitting by the open window listening to the rain... oops!  Somebody is playing piano in the next room.
“Which by and by black night doth take away…”  –Sonnet 73

It's a Cole Porter tune.
“Death’s second self, that seals up all the rest…”  –Sonnet 73

My middle daughter and I took a chance while the others were shopping on the Champs-Elysees...
“In me though see’st the glowing of such fire…”  –Sonnet 73

Sitting upstairs beside the window just hanging out and reading together.  The Wonder Bear and The Little Prince and The Wayside School and Where the Sidewalk Ends...
“That on the ashes of his youth doth lie…”  –Sonnet 73

I can't begin to express the gratefulness I feel for having this time with her.
“As the deathbed whereon it must expire…”  –Sonnet 73

Up and down the stairs holding hands...
“Consumed with that which it was nourished by
This thou perceiv’st, which makes they love more strong
To love that well which thou must leave ere long.”  –Sonnet 73

Laughing without an umbrella outside, skipping and stomping through puddles by the Seine, tucking our book purchases inside warm jackets, squeezing into the back of a cab telling the man...just drive!

No comments:

Post a Comment