Saturday, September 20, 2014

Sucker for Porter

“Every time I look down on this timeless town
Whether blue or gray be her skies…” –Cole Porter


Oh…the Great American Songbook!  You get me every time.  Running around through Paris with my girls, what do you think I’m playing for them.  In the hotel room under the covers, riding up and down rickety elevators, sitting in the cafes watching the people pass … I’m putting Cole Porter in their ears.  Yep, I’m a sucker for Cole Porter!
“Whether loud be her cheers or whether soft be her tears
More and more do I realize…”  -Cole Porter


Visiting anything in Paris takes planning, precaution, and patience.   You have to leave early, you have to be willing to stand in line for hours, and you have to anticipate needs.  Now… as a father, I’m an old pro!  Umbrella, ipads, Ziploc baggie of snacks, roll of wet wipes, corkscrew, ink pens and sketch pad… I’m on top of things, people!
“That I love Paris in the spring time
I love Paris in the fall…”  -Cole Porter


So of course, taking your kids to the top of the Eiffel Tower is no problem.  On the day we went, a very blustery and rainy Sunday morning, we arrived at 8 a.m., elevators start at 9, and there was already a pretty lengthy queue.  
“I love Paris in the winter when it drizzles
I love Paris in the summer when it sizzles…”  -Cole Porter


So…it’s vacation!  A little ice cream in the early rainy gray morning with the wind swirling and dropping  bullet sized drops sideways in sheets…isn’t going to hurt anybody.
“I love Paris every moment…every moment of the year…”  -Cole Porter


The kids had a blast!  Riding the funny elevator diagonally and standing on the edge of the city with their hair whipping around.  Yes, it was slippery and…YES, as soon as we got on top all three kids ran in different directions and I was totally scattered…
“I love Paris, why oh, why do I love Paris?
Because my love is near.”  -Cole Porter


But it’s worth it. All of it is worth it… because what other kind of life do you want?


No comments:

Post a Comment