Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Le Scribe Accroupi & The Deliverance of Robinson Crusoe

 
“I smiled at him, and told him that men in our circumstances were past the operation of fear…”  -Dafoe, Robinson Crusoe 

All of us, at one time or another, become shipwrecked in our own way.
 “I spent eighteen days entirely in widening and deepening my cave.” -Dafoe, Robinson Crusoe

Lost and deserted upon the sands of faraway shores.
“Thus fear of danger  is ten thousand times more terrifying than danger itself.”  -Dafoe, Robinson Crusoe

Relics of one another's memory.
 “The old pilot laughed!  ‘Oh, Seignior Inglese,’ says he, ‘you speak in colors.’”  -Dafoe, Robinson Crusoe

Once priceless pieces of antiquity now discarded to shelves of the past.
“All evils are to be considered with the good that is in them, and with what worse attends them.”  -Dafoe, Robinson Crusoe

That's a pretty raw deal... collecting dust.
“I learned to look more upon the bright side of my conditioned, and less upon the dark side, and to consider what I enjoyed, rather than what I wanted: and this gave me sometimes such secret comforts, that I cannot express them.”  -Dafoe, Robinson Crusoe

And perhaps you're rediscovered, given a second act.  And perhaps you fade away into oblivion.
“…in the course of our lives, the evil which in itself we seek most to shun, and which, when we are fallen into, is the most dreadful to us, is oftentimes the very means or door or our deliverance…”  -Dafoe, Robinson Crusoe

Perhaps you rediscover yourself and return to former glory.
“Wait on the Lord, and be of good cheer.”   -Dafoe, Robinson Crusoe

One thing's for sure.  Museums are monuments to fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment