Monday, November 24, 2014

Think of Me / The Phantom's Cycle of Memory on the Singapore Flyer

“Think of me, think of me fondly
When we’ve said goodbye.
Remember me, once in a while
Please promise me you’ll try.”  -Think of Me, Phantom of the Opera

Preparing this week for a short performance of Phantom at the Christmas Festival here at school.  I've been blessed this year with a group of about ten sophomores with voices like angels and one German exchange student who will make a fantastic Erik...(surprised how little effort it took talking him into the cape and mask!)
“When you find that once again you long
To take your heart back and be free
If you ever find a moment
Spare a thought for me.” -Think of Me, Phantom of the Opera

We talk a great deal about the cycle of memory during this play, about thinking back and remembering so that when we re-live certain feelings and experience again, we recognize their importance.
“We never said our love was evergreen
Or as unchanging as the sea
But if you can still remember,
Stop and think of me.”  -Think of Me, Phantom of the Opera

Especially love, which is such a powerful force.
“Think of all the things
We’ve share and seen
Don’t think about the way
Things might have been.”  -Think of Me, Phantom of the Opera

Staying with us for years after it has gone...re-awakening us years later when it returns.
“Think of me, think of me waking
Silent and resigned
Imagine me trying to hard
To put you from my mind.”  -Think of Me, Phantom of the Opera

The memory of love is often sweeter than it's reality...the mystery more alluring than its confirmation in our hearts.
"Flowers fade, fruits of summer fade
They have their seasons, so do we
But please promise me that sometimes
You will think of me!”  -Think of Me, Phantom of the Opera

Standing in front of these students today, hearing them sing so innocently... brought such joy... knowing our performance will bring that same feeling to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment