Friday, August 28, 2015

This is Just to Say...

 "I have  been one acquainted with the night.
I have walked out in rain -and back in rain.
I have outwalked the furthest city light.
I have looked down the saddest city lane.
I have passed by the watchman on his beat
And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain."  -Robert Frost

This is just to say...  there is a purpose in what we do.
 "The fog comes
on little cat feet.
It sits looking
over the harbor and city
on silent haunches
and then moves on."  -Carl Sandburg

Not for all of us... but the very select few who make it their life's pursuit to push students toward a dream of possibility.  For those... you have my utmost respect.  The rest of you... be damned.
 "I have eaten 
the plums
that were in 
the icebox
and which
you were probably 
saving
for breakfast
Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold"  -William Carlos Williams

The moment I told you I'm not coming back, you had me replaced within the hour... my whole curriculum erased.  You thought I didn't know, but I knew.
 "The apparition of these faces in the crowd;
Petals on a wet, black bough."  -Ezra Pound

So this is just to say... I still believe in teaching literature!
 "If I can stop one heart from breaking
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching
Or cool one pain
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again
I shall not live in vain."  -Emily Dickinson

This is just to say... these students are better equipped than you surmise.
 "So much depends
upon
a red wheel
barrow
glazed with rain
water
beside the white 
chickens"  -William Carols Williams

This is just to say... stopping the test taking and the math memorizing for just a moment...to see something sparkle... is worth it.
"The modest Rose puts forth a thorn;
The humble Sheep, a threatening horn;
While the Lilly white, shall in Love delight,
Nor a thorn nor a threat stain her beauty bright."  -William Blake

This is just to say... I will miss you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment