Monday, November 23, 2015

A Sea Song by Allan Cunningham

"A wet sheet and a flowing sea, a wind that follows fast..." -A Sea Song, by Allan Cunningham, the Boy's Book of Verse

I grew up with all these old poems in my head.
"All fills the white and rustling sail and bends the gallant mast..."   -A Sea Song, by Allan Cunningham, the Boy's Book of Verse

Poems of ships at sea and young soldiers at war.
"O for a soft and gentle wind!  I heard a fair one cry; But give to me the snoring breeze and white waves heaving high."  -A Sea Song, by Allan Cunningham, the Boy's Book of Verse

Banners and wars.  Trumpets and swords with names.  Masted sails and ships with oars.  Horse hooves upon the moors.
"And white waves heaving high, my lads.  The good ship tight and free.  The world of waters is our home and merry men are we."  -A Sea Song, by Allan Cunningham, the Boy's Book of Verse

But... they are just poems.  Don't worry, I know the difference between life and verse.... I think!
"There's tempest in yon horned moon, and lightning in yon cloud."  -A Sea Song, by Allan Cunningham, the Boy's Book of Verse

Today we hired a little fishing vessel, an outboard skiff and headed into the crystal clear Visaya Sea to drop our lines in the calm water and wink at one another while we wait.
"But hark the music, mariners! The wind is piping loud."   -A Sea Song, by Allan Cunningham, the Boy's Book of Verse

We caught our fish and snorkeled in the reefs and marveled at all that lay beneath this amazing blue green tranquility...
"The wind is piping loud, my boys.  The lightning flashes free."  -A Sea Song, by Allan Cunningham, the Boy's Book of Verse

But I kept these poems in my heart.
"While the hollow oak our place is, our heritage the sea."   -A Sea Song, by Allan Cunningham, the Boy's Book of Verse

Sometimes it's good to forget life and verse and just.... live in the difference between.

No comments:

Post a Comment