Wednesday, November 4, 2015

IT'S THE GREAT PUMPKIN ASIA!

Do you know how hard it is to find a pumpkin in Asia?  It ain't easy!  I searched three different traditional markets.  Braved aunties chopping the heads off live chickens... waded through puddles of muck and crates of rotting cabbage... sidestepped countless hissing cockroaches... and rubbed elbows with hanging carcasses of goat meat covered in flies...you know, a typical Wednesday.  All for the pleasure of cutting a Jack-O-Lantern up and dumping its guts on my living room floor.
 Believe me...I am the envy of every American parent in town.  "You found a pumpkin!!"  Every one of them laughs and slaps me on the back.
 Yes, they are about as big as a softball or small child's basketball... but we don't care.  Normalcy comes in small doses, and we're always grateful.
 There is nothing like carving out a pumpkin for Halloween.  Rebekah pulls double holiday duty.... making a gooey-guts snowman.  Too early for Christmas?  I say A+ for effort.
Just so you know...we're holding down the fort on this end.  Humbly, for sure.  Flaming pumpkins beware!  Ichabod Crane... I'm talking to you.

2 comments:

  1. H-man:
    I remember the look on my students in Chonju when I announced we were making jack-o-lanterns. Pumpkin soup is a delicacy and seemed such a waste to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed,

    I still think about Chonju all the time. I've now worked for schools called Dong-Eui and Tong-Hai. Who would have guessed? I like my future dark and murky and full of possibilities. Ha! We raced through Seattle the other day on our way up to Canada... next time, let's meet in your awesome backyard!

    ReplyDelete