Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Princess Sparkleface and Whitman's Song of the Open Road

(Traveling cross country meant getting a good vehicle.  We chose a 2016 Toyota 4-Runner which I hoped the girls would name... The Millennium Falcon.... but, being young girls, the vote was 3 to .  I give you: Princess Sparkleface!)

"Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road.  
Healthy, free, the world before me.
The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose...
Henceforth I ask not good-fortune, I myself am good-fortune.
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing.
Done with indoor complains, libraries, querulous criticisms.
Strong and content I travel the open road."  -Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

I was in the Mongolian Barbeque place the other day (I know!  I know!  White Trash Scale off the Charts!) but I was the one being raked over the coals:
"How can you take your kids across the country by yourself?" 
"What if something goes wrong?"  
"It's almost tornado season!"
"Do you know how much it snows in the midwest?"
"You can't go there.  It's full of creeps and criminals!"
"Are you going to carry a gun?"
And so on... and so on.  I tried to remind people that, here we are in this restaurant and I'm the only one at the table who'd actually been to Mongolia, but it fell like a big yak turd into a butter bucket of yak milk.  Plop!
"Here is the test of wisdom.
Wisdom is not finally tested in schools.
Wisdom cannot be pass'd from one having it to another not having it.
Wisdom of the soul, is not susceptible of proof, it its own proof...
Camerado, I give you my hand!
I give you my love more precious than money.
I give you myself before preaching or law.
Will you give me yourself?  Will you come travel with me?
Shall we stick by each other as long as we live?"  -Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

As we head out across this great country, I invite you to come along.  Pray for us.  Send us positive thought.  I don't want to live in fear or worry that some unknown dread will occur.  I want to live free.  So, come share this journey with us, and I'll see you on the open road.
Uncle Walt agrees.



1 comment: