Monday, March 13, 2017

The Liberty of Patrick Henry and the Panda Kite at Canon Beach

(This is Haystack Rock at Canon Beach and ... my Panda Kite)

"No man thinks more highly that I do of the patriotism, as well as abilities, of the worthy gentlemen who have just addressed the House..."  -Patrick Henry, Give me Liberty or Give me Death.  March 23, 1775
(I have a wonderful relationship with two Panda Kites.  Both bought while traveling through Asia)

"But different men often see the same subject in different lights; and, therefore, I hope it will not be thought disrespectful to those gentlemen if, entertaining as I do opinions of a character very opposite to theirs, I shall speak forth my sentiments freely and without reserve."  -Patrick Henry, Give me Liberty or Give me Death.  March 23, 1775
(While we were traveling up the Oregon Coast reading and studying American Literature, we had some friends from Chicago visit... and so we took them around and flew the Panda Kite a little.)

"This is no time for ceremony.  The question before the House is one of awful moment to this country."  -Patrick Henry, Give me Liberty or Give me Death.  March 23, 1775
(Flying a Kite is like stepping back to a simpler time without the constant distractions that we have today.  A time where people read books aloud to one another, communed with nature, made things with their hands, and studied our physical world by hours of observation, sketching, and journaling.)

"For my own part, I consider it as nothing less than a question of freedom or slavery; and in proportion to the magnitude of the subject ought to be the freedom of the debate."  -Patrick Henry, Give me Liberty or Give me Death.  March 23, 1775
(They also listened intently to speeches.  Wrote letters by hand and waited weeks for a response.  These patient arts are lost today.)

"It is only in this way that we can hope to arrive at truth, and fulfill the great responsibility which we hold to God and our country."  -Patrick Henry, Give me Liberty or Give me Death.  March 23, 1775
(Patrick Henry's Speech on Liberty is such a wonderful example to read aloud to someone.  To listen to his passionate words.  To feel his enthusiastic argument.  If you don't believe me, or you think that's foolish... try it.)

"Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings."  -Patrick Henry, Give me Liberty or Give me Death.  March 23, 1775
(There is something so satisfying, so epic... to swoon at the sound of impassioned poetry.)

"It is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope.  We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts.  Is this the part of wise men, engaged in a great and arduous struggle for liberty?"  -Patrick Henry, Give me Liberty or Give me Death.  March 23, 1775
(I am finding, that reading the poetry, letters, and speeches of the American Revolution to my daughters is one of the most enjoyable things I've ever had the good fortune to attempt.)

"I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience."  -Patrick Henry, Give me Liberty or Give me Death.  March 23, 1775
(Of course, if you think this is all rubbish... well, you can just go fly a kite!)

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?  Forbid it, Almighty God!  I know not what course others may take, but as for me..." -Patrick Henry, Give me Liberty or Give me Death.  March 23, 1775

No comments:

Post a Comment