Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Cape Disappointment Lighthouse and Dead Man's Cove Washington

(We had an awesome day exploring the little inlets and coves and secret beach heads around the mouth of the Columbia River at Cape Disappointment in Washington State.)

"The object of your mission... the Pacific Ocean." -Thomas Jefferson
(We especially channeled our inner Lewis and Clarks at Dead Man's Cove... I mean, just look at this little beach!)

"Our vessels consisted of six small canoes, and two large perogues.  This little fleet altho' not quite so rispectable as those of Columbus or Capt. Cook we still viewed by us with as much pleasure as those deservedly famed adventurers ever beheld theirs; and I dare say with quite as much anxiety for their safety and preservation.  We were now about to penetrate a country at least two thousand miles in width, on which the foot of civilized man had never trodden."  -Lewis, Leaving For Mandan, Apr. 7, 1805
(We stormed down the hill and danced in the tide pools and wandered out onto the rocks and made balance beams of driftwood.)

"I know determined to pursue the base of the mountains... in the expectation of finding some Indian road which lead over the mountains..."  -Lewis, Approaching Lemhi Pass, Aug. 12, 1805
(Then we ascended to the lighthouse.  First lit on Oct. 15, 1856, it stands fifty-three feet tall and has a focal plane of 220 feet above sea.  It can be seen from ten nautical miles and was once fortified with canons during the Civil War.  Pretty amazing, huh!)

"These men then advanced and embraced me very affectionately in their way which is by putting their left arm over your right shoulder clasping your back, while they apply their left cheek to yours and frequently vociferate the word: 'Ah-Hi-e, Ah-He-e', that is, I am much pleased.  I am much rejoiced."  -Lewis, Beaverhead River, Aug. 13, 1805
(I spent much longer than anticipated on the Journals of Lewis and Clark becoming distracted with the brilliant hunting exploits of Sargent Ordway and the troublesome follies of Sacagawea's husband, the French trapper Toussaint Charbonneau, and the wily Patrick Gass, but in the end, the knowledge of the Corps of Discovery added such richness to my travels around the Northwest.)

"I discovered an Indian on horse back... he suddenly turned his horse about, gave him the whip leaped the creek and disappeared in the willow brush in an instant and with him vanished all my hopes of obtaining horses for the present."  Lewis, Horse Prairie Creek, Aug 11, 1805
(This travel in America with my daughters, as they age and grow, and begin to surpass me, is almost overwhelming at times.)

"Men appear much satisfied with their trip beholding with astonishment the high waves dashing against the rocks and this immense ocean."  -Clark, Cape Disappointment, Nov. 18, 1805
(There's just so much heartbreaking joy.... it's almost unbearable.)

"It is with pleasure that I announce to you the safe arrival of myself and party at 12 o'clock today at this place with our papers and baggage. In obedience to your orders we have penetrated the Continent of North America to the Pacific Ocean... I am very anxious to learn the state of my friends in Albemarle particularly whether my mother is yet living.  I am with every sentiment of esteem Your Obt. and very Humble servent."  -Lewis, St. Louis to Thomas Jefferson, Sept. 23, 1806

No comments:

Post a Comment