Friday, May 19, 2017

Don't Want to Learn What I'll Need to Forget

 "I walk the streets of Japan till I get lost
'Cause it doesn't remind me of anything..." -Cornell

Took a break from the road, headed up into Central Washington for some rest and much needed time with a friend on their ranch.
 "With a graveyard tan an' carrying a cross
It doesn't remind me of anything..." -Cornell

I have good friends.
 "I like studying faces in a parking lot
'Cause it doesn't remind me of anything..." -Cornell

Watched the sunset over the Cascades, sat up most of the night talking.
"I like travelin' backwards in the fog
'Cause it doesn't remind me of anything..." -Cornell

Then rose early in the house, found an old book on the shelf, and sat in the sunlight reading.
 "I like gospel music and canned applause
'Cause it doesn't remind me of anything..." -Cornell

I know, it's not American lit, but it's an old friend... and sometimes old friends pop up again in your life and you have to account for them.  You have to remember because they are a part of you.
 "I like hammering nails, and speaking in tongues
'Cause it doesn't remind me of anything..." -Cornell

You can run through the table of contents of their stories, a track list of memories, some good or bad, hilarious, foolish, painful, etched in your memory, or cracked deep upon a broken heart.  
"I like throwing my voice and breaking guitars
'Cause it doesn't remind me of anything
I like playing in the sand what's mine is ours
If it doesn't remind me of anything." -Cornell

I was thinking about that today.  I got the text at 4 a.m. of Chris Cornell's passing.  Usually these things don't affect me... but all that history... and of course,  'There but for the grace of God go I'.   I'm just very grateful to be sitting here today,  with songs in my heart, looking out over this marvelous view, surrounded by friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment