Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center, Cape Disappointment Washington

(Traveling Full Circle, we ventured back down the Columbia to Cape Disappointment and the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center.)

"Having for many days past confined myself to the boat, I determined to devote this day to amuse myself on shore with my gun and view the interior of the country lying between the river and the Corvus Creek." -Lewis, September 17, 1804
(Cape Disappointment is on the mouth of the Columbia River off the coast of Astoria, Oregon and Ilwaco, Washington.)

 "Accordingly before sunrise I set out with six of my best hunters, two of whom I dispatched to the lower side of Corvus Creek, two with orders to hunt the bottom and woodland on the river, while I retained two others to accompany me in the intermediate country." -Lewis, September 17, 1804
(It's a state park with $10 parking and $5 entrance fee per adult and has a system of murals and exhibits and a very cool movie to watch.)

 "One quarter of a mile in rear of our camp which was situated in a fine open grove of cotton wood passed a grove of plumb trees loaded with fruit and now ripe, observed but little difference between this fruit and that of a similar kind common to the Atlantic States." -Lewis, September 17, 1804
(A mural of Lewis and Clark meeting native Indians in wooden hats.)

 "A great number of wolves of the small kind, hawks and some pole-cats were to be seen." -Lewis, September 17, 1804
(A mural of the pirogue.)

 "I presume that those animals feed on the squirrel.  Found the country in every direction for about three miles..." -Lewis, September 17, 1804
(A mural of meeting Cameahwait.)

 "This scenery already rich pleasing and beautiful was still farther highlighted by immense herds of buffalo, deer, elk and antelopes which we saw in every direction feeding on the hills and plains."-Lewis, September 17, 1804
(Some artifacts:  It's amazing Lewis and Clark basically conquered the west with gun powder, paper, and ink.)

 "I got within about 200 paces of them when they smelt me and fled; I gained the top of the eminence of which they stood, as soon as possible from whence I had an extensive view of the country..." -Lewis, September 17, 1804
(We enjoyed the Interpretive Center and the kids had fun turning the abandoned forts outside into personal jungle gyms.   For all ages and interests, it was a cool spot to explore.)

"I think I can safely venture the assertion that the speed of this animal is equal if not superior to that of the finest blood courser."  -Lewis, September 17, 1804

No comments:

Post a Comment