Friday, May 12, 2017

Saying Goodbye to Meriwether Lewis, but not Farewell.

"I am not a coward, but I am so strong.  So hard to die."  -Last words of Meriwether Lewis

I'm having a hard time saying goodbye to Lewis.  I would sit up late and night and read his journal:  Cold bitter winds.  Pelting rain.  Waking up with frost on his body.  Lost in the woods.  Wandering blindly through knee deep snow.  Sending men out into the wilderness to hunt and bring back game not knowing if they'd ever return.  All the while... scribbling, observing, pushing forward.  The suicide of Meriwether Lewis is a part of the story we don't teach our kids... we just open the door to Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone and Crazy Horse and the American West, but the man that led us there first, still whispers from the mountains and trees.  At least, he does to me.





No comments:

Post a Comment